In the last 48 hours the roof has closed at Mercedes-Benz Stadium and it looks incredible!
More facts and figures about the roof’s mechanization:
- The stadium roof may appear to rotate open but it’s an optical illusion, the roof opens by the movement of eight “petals” that slide open in a straight line.
- Each of the moving petals cantilever approximately 200 feet inwards towards the center of the stadium and provide a roof covering when the petals are in the closed position.
- The moveable petal structures are powered by eight mechanized “bogies” which drive the petals along an inner rail and are attached to the outer uplift rail by six roller mechanisms
- In the closed position the petals lock together to form a water tight seal. Each petal structure is clad with air-inflated ETFE pillows.
- ETFE is a highly durable, lightweight fabric that is translucent, allowing for a light filled stadium, even when moveable petals are in the closed position.